I have really been craving some good old-fashioned mac and cheese lately, maybe because I haven’t had a lick of dairy in 7 months. I found a great recipe for cauliflower mac and cheese and decided to see what I could do. I was recently introduced to nutritional yeast as a great alternative to cheese, giving things that nutty cheese sauce. I found this recipe and did my own version.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
2 TBS whole wheat flour
2 TBS coconut oil
1.5-2 cups coconut milk (you can use almond, rice or soy)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup pine nuts
1. Make a roux with the flour and coconut oil. Melt oil in the pan and sprinkle in the flour, this happens very fast so make sure you are stirring quickly and have the milk on hand. It should make a nice paste.
2. Slowly add milk while whisking to remove lumps. Don’t pour all the milk in at once, our slowly until you have reached the desired consistency, should be liquid but not thick because you still have to add the yeast and pine nuts.
3. Simmer on low and add the nutritional yeast while whisking.
4. While it is simmering, make a paste of the pine nuts in either a blender or mini-food processor. Add a bit of water to the pine nuts. (**if you don’t like pine nuts, I suggest cashews or even macadamia nuts. I’m not a huge fan of pine nuts but they were on hand and they add a great flavor to the sauce).
5. Add the paste into the sauce and add a dash of salt. This is where you can add more milk to gain your desired consistency.
**I roasted some cauliflower and put this sauce on it for the last few minutes. Had I had them on hand, I would have added some bread crumbs to the top.
Here are a few add in’s that I suggest to the sauce:
Cumin or Coriander
What would you do differently? What would you suggest as an add-in?